Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Friends, known and unknown


Friends are every where. Sometimes you never will meet them. A friend of mine is unwell, she has cancer and is undergoing radiotherapy whilst still being a normal up and go get them girl . I wanted to make her a quilt so that she could curl up underneath it if, well, she did not want to go get them.

I mentioned to Miss Steph that I wanted to make a quilt. Steph offered me some blocks, heart string blocks. The blocks are made up by strips onto a foundation block, trimmed to 10". The central strip is the same for all the blocks to tie the whole quilt together. Heart strings Quilt project is a yahoo group who make quilts for people in need.

I received 24 blocks plus material for the border from David, who played courier from Steph to me. I sat down at 630 after the kids had gone to TKD and by 1030 had a quilt all together and quilted. I sewed the binding on. I ended up going to bed before I had finished sewing the binding down, but got up this morning to finish it before I went to work.

On giving the quilt a huge hug was received and then told that the quilt would be going to hospital with the lady on Tuesday while she was having some tests and procedures.

So a little love from friends, known and unknown warm the heart of us all

6 comments:

Lissa Jane said...

what a very thoughtful gift and very industrious of you to put it together, quilt it and get the binding on in 4 hours! and that Steph is a treasure too!!!

quilty huggers to you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so heartwarming. What a wonderful friend you have, and wonderful friend you are!! Great job!

Mary Johnson said...

Wow, you work quick - even with a head-start from the HeartStrings blocks. I'm sure this quilt will bring your friend warmth and comfort as she goes through her treatments.

Helen in the UK said...

What a wonderful thing to do for your friend - looks wonderful. You must have been sewing like a demon to get it together that fast, even though the blocks were already made. Congrats to you :)
(Makes me especially proud to be a member of the HeartStrings group to hear this kind of story.)

Cher said...

I love doing quilts for those I know going through chemo...it never fails to cheer and warm them up-what an awesome job you did and so fast!

Natty B said...

Your quilts are fabulous, Jewels. Well done!